Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Bird life in Penguin

Ok - so guess what town I was in today.
No clues.
Ok, a couple of clues.




Still trying to figure that one out? Then Penguin isn't the town for you. For everyone else, I found out a secret - this place has the highest ratio of fine smiles per capita of any place I've been in. Maybe it's the sunshine, maybe it's the salt air. Maybe it's the bird life, but today was one of those days when it was just great being a guy in a small house.




This picture is from where I'm staying in Burnie - 'she not a girl who misses much, na na na na na, oh yeah'


My first two guests - these guys managed to get out of class in order to come down and visit. I felt almost famous. Next time I promise I'll come by after school so I meet the rest of Penguin primary.




Before and After shots - the perfect ad for the hair cutters on Main Street Penguin. His partner (a local nurse) hardly recognised him.



Part of the joy of parking next to the worlds most photographed penguin is meeting visitors from all over the place, many are from other parts of Australia. Some of them come here for a short stay and just never want to go home.




I met a lot of people today who told me they were 'almost' locals, they've only been here a few months or a few years or a few decades... it really got me thinking about what a local really is and how when you arrive to a new place everyone is a local except you.

During the day I met Grace, Molly, Estelle, Hudson and TJ who offered to accompany Julie and I to nearby Fernedale to see the local bush and a remnants of mine tunnels.

I suppose growing up in New Zealand I'm used to going to other countries and feeling like I'm the kid brother in a tough neighbourhood on my first day of school. Today was a good lesson on how sometimes people can be incredibly open and accepting without even being asked, and it's the kind of generousity from people who are totally comfortable in their own skin that really allow you to be yourself. These guys are my new favourite Australians and Penguin is the best kept secret on this island.