Wednesday, 23 September 2009

Lowlands needs you

Or maybe I need Lowlands.
More Lowlands in my life, yes perhaps.

This is my first time being at a big festival of music, and if you haven't been to Lowlands yourself I'm not sure that I can really explain it. Someone spoke to me this on the second day actually and said that Lowlands was like entering a childs world for adults, where everything was there for your pleasure and wonder and the realities of your work or your home life were inconsequential here. There is some truth in that. There were bands sure, but there were also swings and art objects and people just hanging out or wondering around with no particular purpose than to absorb the atmosphere and somehow be infected by it.

So, as you can imagine there were quite a few people dropping by my little house, happy to hang out, talk or just peer in through the window and wonder. And the thing is, if you take away any idea of reasoning or equating what is going on to some sense of purpose then interesting things do in fact happen. Conversations sure, but also just looks or noises.

You know that sensation when you stand at the traffic lights and there is a child in a pram and he or she looks up at you waiting there and they just look at you without any particular agenda, you are there in front of them, moving, blinking, breathing. Well it wasn't quite like that but there was certainly an element of it. So yes, Lowlands needs me and I need Lowlands.






In fact this guy stood in front of what I was really trying to photograph which is the lake. First of all an Opera Singer appeared on a floating tower of umbrellas, carried along by two synchronized swimmers, then I learned that the people waiting on the bank were being ferried by rowboat to a place down the lake where there was a sauna and a Tai Chi master.

And this is Peaches
We didn't bump into each other unfortunately but I did get to see her on stage. Magic.