Sunday, 5 April 2009

Ten Days on the Island and off again

Goodnight Bill. Goodnight Lou. Goodnight May. Goodnight. Ta ta. Goodnight. Goonight.
Good night, ladies, good night, sweet ladies, good night, good night.

The parting call from Evandale, then back in the van to Hobart and off on the big bird away from the island, away from the history, away from the questioning minds of kids, away from million dollar views, away from home but taking home with me.

Sunday market was a busy event, lots of shoppers (no recession going on in Evandale as far as I could see) and lots of folks with goods to sell. I even managed to score a bagain for myself in the morning.

This is Noah and Noah's mother. They were among the first visitors over at my house. Noah is officially the youngest visitor I've had at 7 weeks (excepting the young plastic baby in Ulverstone).

And this of course is Noah's Mother's brother. Yes they do have names but Noah was the only one that stuck in my head. He's going to go far that boy.


And this is Taylor and Tayla - I can remember their names because they reminded me of a 70s tv cop show. They brought with them a fair amount of local knowledge and their own complex web of relationships - they are kind of sisters. It was good to know that family can come from all directions and still get along together.




And speaking of families. This is Rob, she is living and studying in Launceston and had some really great observations. We were talking about the quatre acre and what it represented and she reminded me about how the quarter acre is really a patrichal construct. I think that is absolutely true when you think about it, and perhaps this is why it's not the only way of living anymore. She also reminded me that the quarter acre is a kind of entrapment as much as a freedom, particularly in disfunctional families (and let's face it, disfunctional families are as common as functional ones).
So I appreciated the conversation and new insights.

More Evandale visitors - many were from Sydney strangely enough. That's what you get from a great market.




Matching outfits - I couldn't resist. Perhaps they drive for the same team?

And this is a cheaty view because I'd just got out. The shade of the tree made for a cool afternoon though and finally when I headed south for Hobart the weather packed up properly leaving a fairy dust coating of snow on Mt Wellington.


And then that was it. Thanks Tassie - I'll be back for desert some time soon.